World Vision Peace Prize

celebrating international excellence in peacebuilding

Click here for a description of nominee Sayed Ihsanuddin Taheri's peacebuilding work.

Websites: 

www.ihsantaheri.blogfa.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayed_Ihsanuddin_Taheri

Views: 1038

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

in one of his articles, Mr. Taheri points out about the misuse of Young generation by political parties and NGOs as in the following,

"...

During the eight year rule of our current government, little has been done to help youth. And yet if a young person has links to state officials or NGOs, everything will be properly managed for him or her. That is because connections trump rules in all aspects of life in this country.

One hears that a number of organisations and offices have been set up to find jobs for youth. But they and other political groups are only exploiting youth to achieve their own goals.

Young people, however, are unwilling to fall victim or be misused again. They know they need education. Right now more than 70 percent of youth are illiterate. Without education there will be no hope for their futures. If the government and organisations responsible for supporting youth do not take any action to improve the lives of these young people, they will be forced to choose wrong paths, which will demolish the social fabric.

Let me add that we do have youth unions in Afghanistan. But like other organisations, they only preach and do not practise and are just working to collect money.

Because most of governmental and non-governmental organisations do not work for youth, I implore officials of responsible organisations to work for the young generation of Afghanistan and provide them proper education. With education, rules will once again trump connections, and we will have the prospects for a successful future in our country..."

Dear all, 

I thank you very much for nominating Mr. Ihsan as one of the four nominees for 2012 peacemaker prize. he is a good and a wellknown independent writer blogger and supporter of the capacity building for young generation and women as they are both very needed aspects of developments in Afghanistan. he always critiques positively for social develpment and encouraging boys and girls to work for their country as they are the futur leadrs of Afghanistan. 

So, his work is vital for changes in my country and thanks alot for this action of you dear friends in world vision. 

Sure Suhrab, I know Mr. Taheri since 2000 when I was a refugee in Pakistan. He was totally against his country's soveringhty. He was always discussing such issues with friends and activists I remember. 

In his 2008 netherlands trip he explained extensively about the existing problems regarding security, about the historical situation of tribal communities and families being divided by the British in the19th century colonial times, in their arbitary imposition of national boundaries, equating those divisions with those of Germany and Korea, which brought home to this writer how traumatic that must have been and still is.

There were problems with the economy and other areas where it was difficult for the government to be as influential as it would like, since so much finance was out of its control, and there was corruption linked to the activities of the UN and NGOs as well as his own countrymen. One could also not be clear about Pakistan's motives, Pakistan might feel it would not be to its benefit should Afghanistan prosper and again regain its position at the heart of Asia, with a modern version of the centuries old Silk Route and exporting agricultural and industrial produce directly to other countries, rather than through Pakistan.

He further stated strongly that the Afghan government had given clear information to Pakistan about terrorists there and it was hoped that, with the support of the Americans, Pakistan would fulfill its responsibilities. But, now that it is 2012, Pakistan is still playing double game with two faces. He in his recent interview with a local television in Afghanistan stated that Pakistan should stop supporting terrorists and ban their sancturies in its controlled areas otherwise people of Afghanistan will not tolerate more such problems and will stand against the Pakistan where then the Pakistan will be damaged politically. They should know the historical stand of Afghan people, he stated.

Here is a real story of surviving 500 students in Afghanistan by Mr. Sayed Ihsanuddin Taheri. This happened in February 2008.

On February 4, S.E. Taheri, Secretary General of the Dutch Foundation Stichting Nasr, made an evening call from his home in Amsterdam to his family in Kabul and heard that the whole family were wide awake as their youngest brother, Sayed Ihsanuddin Taheri, mobilized officials and rescue teams to save students stranded in open country in the area of Janda, Ghazni Province, in central Afghanistan.

The students were travelling to the provincial capital, Ghazi city, to take the Kankoorto university entrance exam, but an extra heavy snow fall had brought the convoy of some 40 buses and cars to a halt.

At first the group leaders had assumed that conditions would improve and they would be able to continue, but as night fell they began to despair, thinking they might not escape from death in the frozen desert. They had not eaten since breakfast and could make no contact by mobile phone until they called a number on a sheet one of them had in his pocket and reached Taheri, who works in the Office of Director General, Office of Administrative Affairs and Council of Ministers Secretariat of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, on his personal cell phone.

By now it was 10pm and the temperature was dropping to minus 30 degrees: Janda stands nearly 2,000m above sea level.

After digesting the news, Taheri reassured the caller “we are here to help our citizens and will work hard for your survival. Do not worry, that is our duty”, then quickly contacted ministers and directors of relevant government organizations, asking for their support and immediate action.

Seeking to raise the students' spirits, he confirmed that help was on the way and updated them of progress.Thereafter, he was simultaneously in touch with all those involved: “with my three cell phones, I was online with the authorities in Kabul and Ghazni, the rescue teams and the students”, monitoring and controlling the whole process of recovery.

At about 2am, he heard from the students’ representative that the rescue group had arrived and after making certain of the students' wellbeing he congratulated all the teams and the central and local authorities for their wholehearted cooperation and support; and assured the students’ representative that provision had also been made for their refreshment and warm accommodation.

Ambassador for Peace: helping survival of a human being in need the first & major duty
In the Netherlands, brothers S.N. & S.E. Taheri are Ambassadors for Peace with the Universal Peace Federation (UPF) and when S.E. Taheri visited Afghanistan in December last year for his marriage, he shared UPF’s peace message with many and appointed his youngest brother Ihsan Taheri an Ambassador for Peace. On hearing that disaster had been averted, that the stranded students crisis had been succesfully resolved, S.E. Taheri enthused, “Ihsan, this is a fantastic ending, you are a real hero and a true Ambassador for Peace.”

Taheri received many more calls of appreciation and gratitude, but he is somewhat reticent in talking about his actions: although he confesses “it was the most memorable night in my life, helping save the lives of more than 500 high school graduates”, he adds simply, “to help the survival of a human being in need is the first and major duty of the mankind: we are here to support and solve each others problems.”

This is a part of Mr. Sayed's report to Netherlands where he received his award of Ambassador for Peace to Afghanistan by UPF-NL in 2008.In his response to questions, Mr. Taheri explained that a major problem was “national unity; but we are working on it”. After the Taliban were deposed, refugees had started coming back to Afghanistan, but that stopped in 2004, when the Taliban started to try and take power again. Afghanistan was now mostly secure, but there were still problems in the South. The International Conference on Afghanistan in The Hague had been a success, it had been good to see the American and Iranian delegations in the same room, but while a lot of money was coming into the country to help with reconstruction, only 20% went through the government, which, as the UN Special Representative had said, did not help increase confidence in the government. Yes, there was corruption he added, but the government, with help from the agencies of other countries, in particular the US and UK, was doing all it could to combat it. How long fighting foreign forces were needed was not mainly an Afghanistan question. It was an international matter, the main insurgency coming from the Taliban safe havens in Pakistan. When questioned about Iran's involvement, he expelined that while it was seeking to gain influence, it was through cultural means rather than military force. Finance was coming into the country to support the Taliban. There was a saying, ”if the government puts me out of work, I'll join the Taliban”. The Taliban were actually led by foreign commanders, possibly up to 40% of the Taliban were from abroad. In this discussion table, Former ambassador mr. (Sir) J.P.M. Wolfswinkel commented that this had also been the case in Angola, most terrorists coming from South Africa. Mr. Taheri returned to the question of national unity, the need for its importance to be taught in schools. At the moment, many felt that national unity meant control from the centre, in schools children were now being taught about the responsibility of citizens. Many young people were now moving into government; they had technical and language ability. Unfortunately, the Taliban also sought to influence young people through the internet, with websites in Urdu, Farsi, Pashto and Arabic. But they did not have the true Muslim attitude to education which was to “seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave”. Under the Taliban, there had been only one million students, now there were 6.5 million, and 41% were girls.

We are proud of being Afghan and living in Afghanistan where we have such people like Ihsanuddin Taheri thinking about future of his country and discussing issues very franckly with different people and society members. He take steps positively where there is a positive work by the government of any other GOs and he criticizes negatively with recommendations where he witnesses problems facing his country and citizens of Afghanistan for personal advantages of the political and leaders of parties. he defends the rights of young generation of his time very proudly and independently and stands against enemies of Afghanistan by whatever means of communications so that everyone knows the situation. He alwys recommends and supports National Army, National Police and National Security forces and encourages people of supporting them.

I support the nomination of Sayed Ihsanuddin Taheri for this year’s World Vision International’s Peacemaking Prize.

Success in engaging the imagination of an affluent community to the plight of the disempowered or unpopular, takes a strong and determined personality. We are all too busy leading comfortable lives Mr. Ihsan Taheri is leading activist of social movement for civil rights in Afghanistan Strong personality and moral values are prominent features of this valuable man,

A hardworking man of his age, Mr. Ihsan Taheri has always played a key role in promoting peace and mediating conflicts amongst Afghan young generation. He has always been amicable with friends, Mr. Ihsan Taheri has always devoted his time to help others in particular defending human rights and promoting women role in Afghanistan. He strives to increase awareness of Afghans towards real democracy and pluralism under austere circumstances in Afghanistan. 

My friends I am agree with all what you said about him and it is not enough. It can be a small part of his achievements in being an official of the government  

He is totally against the enemies of Afghan people and struggling to gain support of the society against their presence 

Thanks World Vision for choosing him in the list of finalist nominees.

I support the nomination of Sayed Ihsanuddin Taheri for this year’s World Vision International’s Peacemaking Prize.

Success in engaging the imagination of an affluent community to the plight of the disempowered or unpopular, takes a strong and determined personality. We are all too busy leading comfortable lives Mr. Ihsan Taheri is leading activist of social movement for civil rights in Afghanistan Strong personality and moral values are prominent features of this valuable man,

A hardworking man of his age, Mr. Ihsan Taheri has always played a key role in promoting peace and mediating conflicts amongst Afghan young generation. He has always been amicable with friends, Mr. Ihsan Taheri has always devoted his time to help others in particular defending human rights and promoting women role in Afghanistan. He strives to increase awareness of Afghans towards real democracy and pluralism under austere circumstances in Afghanistan. 

My friends I am agree with all what you said about him and it is not enough. It can be a small part of his achievements in being an official of the government  

He is totally against the enemies of Afghan people and struggling to gain support of the society against their presence 

Thanks World Vision for choosing him in the list of finalist nominees.

Excellent person, sorry I could not write earlier. I feel the ONLY hope for the future of Afghanistan may be its younger generation; thie elders are tired or afraid or corrupt - and foreigners are limited in what they can do - and all foreign governments are only really concerned with their own interests.

Sayed Ihsanuddin Taheri is one of the young people who is the only hope for Afghanistan. Any encouragment or support would be a great investment.

RSS

© 2017   Created by WV Peacebuilding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service